Dear Parents and Guardians:
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, school will not be in session through May 1. CHS hopes to reopen Monday, May 4. While we are saddened to miss the precious time with our students, we know the importance for social distancing. I apologize for the length of this notification but there is a lot of information to communicate.
For CHS students, the expectation for work, due dates, etc. will be the same for all students. The assignments, however, might look different between online activities compared to paper pencil tasks. For example, if a video is used by online learners, a reading passage might be used for packet learners. Regardless, these learning opportunities should be over previously taught learning standards..
For April 6 through May 4 assignments, all students will be given the following for each class period:
- A choice board with 9-12 assignments for each class. Students will need to pick 4 to complete.
- The student will need to complete only 4 assignments for each class. This means they will complete 4 math, 4 ELA, etc. for each class.
- ALL assignments (previous, current, and upcoming) will be due on May 4 (when CHS reopens). If a teacher has posted a different due date, please know they are aware that due dates are now May 4. It's okay if items have not been completed yet. Students have until May 4.
- It's my recommendation that work be spread out over the next month. This will allow students to continue to learn throughout the month, but also ease the burden at home. I would encourage students to not wait until the last week to complete all their work. It could definitely feel overwhelming.
- Assignments will be graded as formatives (or "homework-like") grades. Please know that as long as students are putting forth effort and turning in assignments they will not earn failing grades.
- Students with failing grades will need to make up any missing work prior to school closing and complete the assigned work from April 6 through May 4 to ensure passing grades.
- Several classes will be moving forward with their curriculum (these classes are our Dual Credit/College/Online courses, AP courses, PLTW courses).
FOR ONLINE LEARNERS:
All 9-12 assignment choices will be posted on Monday, April 6. The student will need to choose which 4 assignments to complete for each content area. All assignments will be due on Monday, May 4. This gives students almost a month to complete the work. If your student has been an online learner and would like to switch to packet learning, please see below regarding distribution dates, times, expectations, etc.
FOR PACKET LEARNERS:
All 9-12 assignment choices will be available for pickup beginning next week. For each content area, students will need to choose which of the 4 assignments to complete. All assignments will be due on Monday, May 4. This gives them almost a month to complete the work. If you would like to return previously assigned work, you are welcome to do so during the times listed below. However, all assignments are not due until May 4. Packet Drive Through Pick-Up times are listed below.
- Monday, April 6: 8-10 am
- Tuesday, April 7: 5-7 pm
- Wednesday, April 8: 8-10 am
- Thursday, April 9: 5-7 pm
So what do I do if I or my student has a question? Teachers can be reached via email. While they have virtual office hours from 9-11 am, they will respond to emails outside of that time period. Your patience is appreciated as they respond to emails and make phone calls. Virtual office hours apply for days school would have originally been in session (ex: virtual office hours will not take place over Spring Break which is April 10-13).
If your student has an IEP or 504:
- The Cameron R-1 School District Special Education Department will be providing services to the greatest extent possible for students who qualify and have an active IEP. Please note that minutes serviced will not be the same as they would be if students were in school. Services will be arranged by the case manger and/or the therapist this week. If you have any questions or unable to reach the case manager, feel free to contact the building principal or the Special Education Director, Mary Crawford at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 504 and IEP students should receive accommodations and/or modifications that are deemed appropriate during this time. Please contact your student's teacher if your child has a 504 or IEP and you feel accommodations are needed for an assignment and not included in the directions.
If you have a question about building protocol, please contact Mr. Jones (email@example.com) or Mr. Anderson (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you have a question about food delivery, please contact Donna Frazier (email@example.com).
As always, CHS teachers and staff appreciate your patience and feedback during this time. We are in uncharted territory as well. Thank you for providing us grace and understanding as we address your questions, comments, and concerns. Please know that we will continue to do what we can to assist during these new learning opportunities. We are all in this together. Stay safe and stay healthy.
Mr. Brett Jones